Thursday, July 21, 2011

Well, not quite...












I posted on Mon. that I was glad my canning season was over. Well, I should have said "mostly" over. My husband made a run through the remains of the garden & came in with a big basket full of jalapeno peppers. So yesterday I canned 5 more pints of sliced peppers.
I see lots of nachos and spicey food in our future!


How to can jalapeno slices:
#1 most important tip is WEAR GLOVES!!!
Next wash and slice the peppers. (you could remove the seeds, but who really has time for that?)
Place in clean jars.
Then in a big pot fill with half white vinegar & have water.
Put 1/4 tsp salt into the jars on top of the peppers.
The pour the very hot vinegar water mixture on leaving the headspace.
Quickly wipe rims & put on your lids & rings.
Leave untouched on the counter & they will seal.
--Now, technically the book says you have to water bath process these for about 10 minutes. So I need to add that. --However I don't & they have lasted for years. So it's up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment