Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Enchilada Sauce

Upon request I'd love to share my enchilada sauce recipe, but I really don't have an exact one.
What I did is wash & core my garden tomatoes. Then put them into the blender in batches & blended them up very well. I also blend up an onion or two & a couple of jalapeno peppers. Next poured it all into my big stockpot. Then added the following spices:
oregano
basil
chili powder
cumin
garlic powder (or fresh chopped garlic)
salt
pepper

It really just depends on what your tastes are. I used about 3 tablespoons of the spices (except the salt & pepper)

Let this simmer for at least an hour. Taste it & if it's desired, put in jars & pressure can.

Basic Beef Enchiladas

1 lb ground meat
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 cups shredded monteray jack or cheddar or mixed
1 jar homemade enchilada sauce
corn tortillias

Brown meat & onion in a skillet. Drain off any fat.
Heat enchilada sauce in a pan.
Dip corn tortillia in sauce to coat (do it fast as the tortillias will break easily)
Then place in a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
Put in a little meat & then some cheese. Roll up or just fold in half.
Continue until pan is full.
Pour extra sauce over all.
Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes until all is bubbly & melted.
*Optional- when done drizzle with a little mexican creama...oh so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment